Monday, September 28, 2015

Change, thy name is parenthood!

Hey people! It has been over a year now that I became a mom; and boy, what a year it has been!
During all this time, I felt as if each day just wouldn't end fast enough; and now when I look back, it all seemed to have happened so fast. Weird, huh! Naah, I guess that's just human nature.

Anyway, Ananya is a toddler now. I had planned on updating her progress (and mine) on this blog regularly, but evidently that hasn't happened. What with a crazy hyperactive baby around the house - I have been busier slogging than blogging. :D And THAT is about the biggest change that has happened to me, especially as the 3 years before having a baby were spent unemployed and pretty much free. Now I hardly have a moment to myself. When I seldom do, I spend it cleaning my home, or organizing it to make it more inaccessible. Yes, you heard it right - inaccessible. We wouldn't want an inquisitive toddler to easily find a paper towel roll, right? Well only if we love lapping up an entirely unraveled roll and throwing it away! Lol!

But even apart from that, my life has turned topsy-turvy. One of the most noticeable changes is that I have become more emotional: partly responsible for that are the hormones of course; but mostly, it is like the dam that finally burst open. Reading books and watching movies with emotional content instantly makes me tear up now. I find it very amusing, because I used to laugh at people who cried at scenes of Judaai and heartbreak. I thankfully still don't cry out, but have to avert my (well-meaning) husband's gaze or crack some stupid jokes to save the moment. Those who know me know that I am really shy of expressing emotions. Except anger - that comes out pretty unabashedly! :D

Decision-making has also had a major impact now that I have to factor the baby in. From simple matters like what to make for lunch, to complex ones like what to do during vacation, Ananya commandeers the rulings. It is almost as if my brain has rewired itself to configure her meals, entertainment, and safety into all our plans. Oh, and her moods, too!

Oh, and traveling light seems like totally a thing of the past. I wasn't a very light traveler to begin with, too. I always believed in being prepared for contingencies (and not spending money on buying duplicate stuff because you forgot to take it with you - really, what are you going to do with 16 pens bought in 16 different locations across USA?). But now that I am a parent, I have gone totally crazy and pack 6 bags for our cute little family of 3. 6!

I have mentioned about the anger and the yelling several times before, no! But while dealing with my baby, I have actually (most of the times) learnt to remain calm. Because, she is just a baby and cannot differentiate between yelling at her and calmly asking her to spit out the mulch that she stealthily managed to put in her mouth.

Ahh, changes, changes! I had heard that being a mom changes you, but this drastically - I never knew. The good thing is, I am actually enjoying the change. It is nice to be punctual and calm and organized. The busyness takes a toll, yes; and I also wish someone had told me before that I'd have to change so much. But all in all, this change is good.

By the way, did I mention that this change is also constant, meaning that I also have to keep changing my strategies to coerce Ananya into doing certain things on an almost daily basis? Hehehe...well, change, they name is indeed, parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment