Monday, June 16, 2014

Pregnancy diaries - prologue

Nausea and fatigue! Yes, my prologue can only start with those 2 words. It can continue with restlessness, drowsiness, moodiness, indigestion, bloating, and so on. Oh yeah, surprise and happiness, too! :D

So we had just been back from our trip to Colorado, where I had humiliated myself by being so tired and breathless that I could hardly walk; while my husband and his friend coolly jumped up and down the rocks. Even after we came back, I started feeling low on energy, I couldn't eat properly, and of course, was super-nauseated. As my paranoid-self resurfaced, I thought I was either anemic, or diabetic, or, you know, had cancer. A slightly more optimistic fragment of my mind gave some weightage to food poisoning, while on another weirdly and illogically pessimistically plane, I thought I was prematurely menopausal! Hahaha beat that! 
I decided to go see a doctor, when it got out of control. He listened to me rambling about my symptoms and then casually asked me to take a urine pregnancy test. I knew I had taken one at home, but thought, “fine, whatever!”. The doctor returned in 5 minutes... and guess what; he said I am most definitely pregnant. My mouth was left open and hanging. I had spent a month worrying about what was wrong with me. The doctor also did a thorough blood test by the way, just to be sure, as my home pregnancy test had come negative. The blood test confirmed that I was 6 weeks pregnant! 6! Already!

After recovering from the initial surprise, there was no more "recovery". It was almost as if the knowledge that I am pregnant made me psychologically more symptomatic. I started having higher gag reflexes, severe nausea, motion sickness, etc. etc... Worst of all, I couldn't eat anything. There were several days when I would survive on just 3-4 pieces of wheat toast a day. Oh but more about that, in the next post!



No comments:

Post a Comment